Obi (オビ; Obi) is currently an aide that stands by Prince Zen's side, along with Mitsuhide, and Kiki. He was a former assassin that was hired by Lord Haruka to prevent Shirayuki from entering the castle and meeting Zen. Surprised by her wit and bravery, and mildly curious about Zen, he hands himself over to Zen calling him "Master". Soon after, Obi is hired as Zen's attendant before being officially raised as messenger and placed as Shirayuki's personal guard. He is later promoted to Zen's Immediate Knight whilst still remaining Shirayuki's guard.
Obi has short black hair, yellow cat-like eyes and a scar on his forehead above his left eye that is ususally partially hidden underneath his hair. His prefered clothes include a dusty sand yellow head band that wraps around his head and covers his ears, khaki coloured shirt, black long sleeved undershirt, neck wrap, black pants, boots, and gloves.
When Obi is conducting official business for Prince Zen Wistaria, he wears either a black buttoned official uniform that is long sleeved or light unbuttoned coloured official uniform with short sleeves and a black undershirt with long sleeves. However he also wears the latter with a loose neck warmer when he has no official business and simply loitering about the castle.
When Obi comes to Lyrias, he wears black underclothes and a white tunic over the top, a fur-lined neck warmer and a cape that covers his right shoulder and arm.
Obi is rather an aloof character and whilst he holds Prince Zen Wistaria and Shirayuki dear to him, he holds them at a distance not wanting them to know very much about his past. Obi continues to utilise the skills and knowledge from his previous line of work to find information to protect Zen, Mitsuhide, and Shirayuki, and to pursue those that seek to harm them and threaten his new lease on life.
It is shown that prior to meeting Zen and company, he maintained no relationships nor friendships that could tie him down, and was considerably more aloof and seldom relied on others for help. However, since being with Zen and company, he is shown to rely on those around him and has the motivation to protect and watch those around him flourish.
Obi has a preference for being alone outside in the night and describes himself as nocturnal. He has unconventional ways of moving around buildings, often preferring to enter through the window or through a balcony rather than through the door. He is a nimble and skilled fighter, able to switch modes of combat quickly from swords to hand-combat with ability to stand on his hands and use his feet to extract and fling his opponents sword away. He also carries shuriken on his person.
Whilst not much is explicitly told about Obi's past prior to the main story, we are able to deduce that Obi had met Shirayuki some time during her childhood in the mountains of Tanbarun before she is sent to live with her grandparents. Obi seems to start remembering Shirayuki as he eavesdrops on a conversation between Kihal Toghrul and Shirayuki when she states that she was born in the mountains of Tanbarun though does not remember much of it. He later informs Shirayuki that he had met her before in Tanbarun, though he had never been to the Capital before.
Obi's traditional line of work involved carrying out various 'jobs' that could be considered too high risk or too tedious for ordinary people to take. He has admitted these jobs were illegal in nature, and it has been implied that they involved assassination. Obi was heavily injured in a high risk job with a large wound across his chest and then disappeared into the woods when a fellow comrade, Torou, went to check on him. Following this job, Obi lay low and other members in this 'line of work' passed rumors that Obi had either died or quit and settled down with a family. His final job in this line of work was given to him by Haruka to target and remove Shirayuki from Wistal Palace to prevent her from returning and meeting Prince Zen Wistaria.
- "My master and the little miss have been in the forest for a while now. What are we going to do if they decide to elope, just like that?" —To Kiki and Mitsuhide
- "If it's for you and mistress, I'm willing to head anywhere." —To Zen
- "Whatever direction you're heading, I'll be sure to follow along by your side." —To Shirayuki
- " I'm home! I've returned safely, young miss." —To Shirayuki
- Given Obi's history and previous line of work, he has heightened senses, advanced combat skills, and keen eye to detect change, though prefers to keep his face hidden to feel more at ease.
- Aside from his combat skills, and nimbleness, Obi has exceptionally good memory which he uses several times to the advantage of Zen and Shirayuki
- Obi has a high resistance to alcohol and can be matched by Mitsuhide and Kiki, though not Zen.
- Obi has a dislike for formal clothing and carriages as they restrict his movement and senses.
- Obi likes to use the name "Nanaki" as an alias when he does not want to reveal his name.
- Obi is a good cook and has a preference for spicy food.
- When asked what his type was, Obi claimed not to be too picky. As long as they are not too childish or spoiled. (Ch. 45, p. 33)
- Obi was ranked 2nd in the character poll. He was ranked 3rd in the shipping poll with Shirayuki and 4th in the shipping poll with Zen.
- Obi shares similarities with Karma Akabane from Assassination Classroom, whom he shares both voice actors with. Similarities include:
- Excelling in parkour.
- Considered the best out of the main characters at hand-to-hand combat.
- Proficient with knives.
- Knowledge of assassination.
- Enjoy making jokes at other people's expense.
- Involved with violence and rarely formed close relationships prior to the series.
- Strange eyes, Karma's are noticeably dull and Obi's are catlike. Coincidentally, Karma's eyes are occasionally drawn with slits when he is angered.
- A preference for spices and spicy things.
- Officially introduced in chapter three and episode three of their respective series.
- Duelled one of the main characters.
- Scored very high in popularity polls.
- Introduced as antagonistic.
- Despite fitting the archetype the least out of Zen's attendants, Obi is the only of them who is a knight.
- Obi is fond of pranking people by waking them up while wearing a mask.
- When forced to state his favourite trait of Obi's, Zen answered that it was even if someone were to intrude in Obi's room, Obi would still give up his bed for them.
- Obi appears to like sleeping anywhere besides his own bed.
- The word 'obi' is not actually a name, but a sash worn around a kimono.
Click here to view the gallery.