Shirayuki (白雪; Shirayuki) is the main protagonist in the Akagami no Shirayuki-hime manga and anime series. She is currently a Court Herbalist within the Kingdom of Clarines and usually works inside the Palace. She is in a romantic relationship with Zen.
Shirayuki's rare apple-red hair color attracts a lot of unwanted attention. At the beginning of the story, her hair was typically tied in a ponytail that ran halfway down her back, but as a rebellious act against the Prince of Tanbarun, she cut it shorter so that it reached her chin. Shirayuki is of average height at 5' 3" (162 cm).
Since she is not of royal blood, and was a former civilian, she had to gain access to the castle from her employment and now has a tag of identification around her neck. Later on, Shirayuki is given a uniform by Garaku, which she wears while on duty. Whenever she is called to formally meet a member of royalty, she changes into more of a formal and respectable apparel. Shirayuki doesn't do so when she is called to see Zen. When she is out in an unfamiliar town, Shirayuki always wears a hood so that her hair won't attract any unwanted attention.
Shirayuki has a very strong-willed and bright personality. She is optimistic, resourceful, determined, yet she can be kind and compassionate. She tends to be fairly independent, but will accept the help of others when necessary. Sometimes, her determination to be independent ends up working against her and she has been known to overwork herself to the point of making herself sick. Shirayuki tends to put less consideration into her own needs and ends up putting the people around her at a higher priority, meaning she places anyone precious to her ahead of herself and takes action when the situation requires attention. She's a strong-willed woman that is willing to take any risks for the fact to be proven properly.
Shirayuki is very knowledgeable in herbology and medicine. She likes to do things the "right way", often leading to dangerous encounters. As also seen in the manga (Lyrias arc), she doesn't like hiding information and would like to face the truth in order to properly protect her precious 'stuff'. She has a high level of determination, but gets easily flustered when Zen tries to flirt or romance her. She knows that she loves him but doesn't know how to say it.
She is very patient and diligent when it comes to the palace's work - meaning that she likes doing things by herself and doesn't like using 'other people' like Zen to rise her social status.
Shirayuki was born in the mountains of Tanbarun. Her dad (Mukaze) being the leader of the Lion's of the Mountains and her mom dying at an early age, Mukaze decided he wanted Shirayuki to live a normal life so he left her grandparents who owned a pub in the city of Tanbarun to take care of her. When she was a toddler she saw her father having a drink at the pub as her grandparents quietly pointed him out. Throughout her life, Shirayuki has had problems with her hair gaining unwanted attention and it has made her cautious about herself in new surroundings.
When she becomes older her grandparents soon pass away and she rebuilds the pub into a pharmacy. She becomes known throughout the city and her hair soon catches the eye of the prince (Raji Shenazard). One evening a palace guard comes to her pub and commands her that she must prepare to become the prince's concubine. He leaves the pharmacy as Shirayuki thinks of a plan to escape the kingdom. She finishes up her last medicine orders and cuts her long red hair leaving her hair by a window still and escapes out of the city.
While walking through the woods, she finds an abandoned mansion and knocks on the door. When no one answers, she decides to wait for the owner and sits by the door, falling asleep in the process. When she wakes up in the morning, she meets Zen, Mitsuhide, and Kiki, and the journey on her new path begins.
- "Sorry to disappoint, but it's not my hobby to carry poisons around with me." —To Zen
- "If there are times when he can't act as he wants to, I will use everything in my power to make sure he won't be in that situation." —Shirayuki talking about Zen
- "Are you an idiot?! It's because I wanted to change our relationship!" —To Prince Raji
- "The next time I come to this country, I will enjoy hearing the townspeople proudly talk about you." —To Prince Raji
- Shirayuki means "White Snow". Although, it is translated as "Snow White".
- She is quite popular among the Royal Guards, such to the point that they cheer when Shirayuki moves into the castle.
- Shirayuki is a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. She gets drunk easily.
- In a character poll she won first place, same goes with Zen and Shirayuki, who also won first place in the couple section of the pole. Shirayuki and Obi won third place.
- Shirayuki is quite strong physically, easily winning in an arm wrestling match between herself and Kazaha (chapter 60).
Click here to view the gallery.